Using This LibGuide
This page is designed to help you with your nonfiction book assignment for this trimester in Social Science. We hope you'll find everything you need in order to be successful.
Your assignment sheet lists possible topics for books pertaining to some aspect of United States history. Those topics are listed on tabs above. On those pages, we've offered some suggested titles as well as some suggestions for searching the catalog and/or browsing the shelves. Several particularly noteworthy books are highlighted, and direct links to the online catalog are provided.
If you're open to any and all topics, you can just head to the catalog from the links to the right. From there, go to "Assignment Lists" in the Explore area of Researcher and then open the 2nd Tri Social Science list. Browse the list of over 200 books until you see one that's meant for you!
Reviews in Alexandria
Part of your project is writing a script for your video review. Please consider helping future Patriots by copying the text of that portion of the script into a review on Alexandria. It's easy! Look at page 150 in your assignment notebook or follow the directions below. Patriot Pay can be claimed when your review gets accepted!
- Go to the Jefferson Webpage (schools.naperville203.org/Jefferson), look under the Library tab, and click JJHS Online Catalog/From Home (or “From School” if that’s where you are).
- In the upper left-hand corner of the Researcher screen, click “Log In”. Your login is your barcode (your student ID plus 2201 at the beginning) and your password is your last name.
- You’ll see a Patron Info window pop up with your school picture and what you have checked out. Click the X in the upper right corner to close the details.
- Once you do that, you’ll see you’re logged in to our collection.
- Go ahead and search for the book you wish to review. Open the details window by clicking on the title or book cover icon
- You’ll see some stars under the cover art. If you float your cursor over them, the little window pictured on the right will appear. There, you’ll see the option to “Add a Review”. Click that link. If you are NOT logged in (your name does not appear next to Log Out), you won’t see that “Add Review” option.
- Choose how many stars you’d rate the book. You won’t get another chance after you submit, so do this right away! If you only want to give it a stars and not write a review, that’s OK.
- Type your review and READ IT OVER FOR ERRORS. Make any changes, especially to mechanics and spelling. You may want to work in Word and then copy/paste your work into the text editor. Click “submit” once you've read it over and have checked the number of stars you rated to book.
- Your review won’t appear right away – it has to be approved by a teacher or a librarian. That won’t happen if there are too many errors (like spelling, run-ons, no capitals), if the review uses slang/texting abbreviations, or if the review is in any way inappropriate. If you want your review to count for a Rebecca Caudill response, it has to be detailed enough to show you read the book without just summarizing (approx. 5 sentences).
THANKS FOR MAKING A PERMANENT AND POSITIVE CONTRIBUTION TO THE JEFFERSON LRC COLLECTION!
JJHS Online Catalog
See what books we have on your topic by doing a simple search; be sure to sort by call number to put the nonfiction books on top. Or, you can browse the list we've created for your class by clicking the "Assignment Lists" in the Explore section and then clicking on the "2nd Tri Soc. Sci." link. You'll probably want to sort that by Call Number as well.